Watauga, Avery, Mitchell & Yancey (WAMY) Community Action, Inc.
by Watauga, Avery, Mitchell & Yancey (WAMY) Community Action, Inc.Region 4B · Boone, NC
The Healthy Homes Initiative is a statewide program addressing social determinants of health. This initiative is administered through the North Carolina Community Action Association (NCCAA) to local Community Action Agencies across North Carolina. WAMY Community Action, one of those agencies, has effectively administered and leveraged program funding to create an especially transformative impact on the local community. This initiative provides installation measures and other services that promote safe and healthy indoor living environments for families. Services provided through the initiative include:
- Healthy home assessment
- Accessibility/fall prevention in the interior of the home
- Replacement of carpet with hard-surface flooring
- Deep cleaning of the home
- Interior pest control
- Moisture control (basement & cross space sealing)
- Air filter change-out (plus 4 additional replacements)
- Air purifiers
- Installs battery changeout of carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
Local Need Addressed
Many low-income families within this four-county area live in unsafe and unhealthy living environments due to the condition of the home. This community initiative addresses these critical needs by promoting healthier homes. This need was included in the agency’s most recent Community Needs Assessment.
More like this …